Thursday, February 21, 2008

Where people live

The road dead-ends at the entrance to a gated community--a great sea of multistory homes surrounded by a tall fence. I consider turning around, but ride on. To my surprise, the security guard opens the gate as I approach and I roll in without slowing down.

Inside, the streets are empty save for the occasional sedan which will disappear behind a robotic garage door. The only people I see outside the large homes are topless black men working to finish custom estates.

On the weedy margins of the compound a security guard patrols the fence. I ride past him up steep ground and he laughs for me as he watches my tires loose traction and my bike tip over. Catching my breath I notice the evenly spaced wires running the length of the fence. I am naïve enough to think things couldn't be that bad. I reach out to test it. Ouch! The shock tingles up my arm as I ride away.

No comments: